Thursday, May 6, 2010

What is old becomes new

Few words can express the feeling I had tonight about our life change. As I've noted before, we have not always included adoption in our Rust family life vision. We were putting together a mission statement a year or so ago and never landed on one we fell in love with. I know now that it was because we had not stumbled across this very significant detail of our lives God had prepared.

On this side of our life story, old songs, ideas, quotes, scriptures have all gained new value. For instance, the song "Bless the Broken Road," by the Rascal Flatts, used to have a special romantic message to me. Now, all I hear is our adoption journey and how God is
blessing their broken little road and leading them straight into our arms. There are more examples, but I'll share more of them on another post.

What I
really wanted to share was my favorite poem by Robert Frost. I don't know why I stumbled across it tonight, but all I had to do was read the title and SMACK! It hit me!!! This is another great emotion-filled example of how our lives look different now compared to this time last year. Our choice to adopt has taken us down the path we had once completely refused. We boasted in our decision to be "done" having kids after Sophie came along. We laughed at the opportunity to be "kid-free" earlier in life than our friends, who were taking longer than us to procreate. Dreams were born and plans were in the works to create some independence from service to others. I don't ever want to go back to that. We were fooling ourselves all along to say that we didn't "want any more kids." Hind-sight is 20/20, don't they say?

This is all so very fresh in my heart, as tonight, we put more finishing touches on our dossier. We are hoping these corrections will complete our original draft dossier mistakes! Our goal is to have everything submitted and pay the final lump-sum price by the first of June. It will go in the mailbox (again) this weekend. We will keep the blog updated, as adoption work will be heavy over the next few weeks, before it (hopefully) grows quiet for a little while. For now, go on and read the poem that now holds so much more meaning to our lives. I'm sure it holds great power in your life, too.

The Road Less Traveled

T
WO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment